In today’s audio review I have the Astro A30 System from Astro Gaming. Astro gaming have built up a solid reputation as a gaming peripheral outfit during the course of this past generation and their foundations set in place since the beginning as Astro Studios – the parent company of Astro Gaming – were actually involved in the design of the Xbox 360 itself. With such heritage it’s no surprise Astro are one of few de-facto console peripheral brands and official headset supplier of the MLG.
The A30 System itself includes both the Astro A30 headset as well as the highly regarded Astro’s MixAmp Pro. THe A30 System comes supplied with everything you need to get going be that across PC, PS3, Xbox 360 or even any other devices such as a phone or media player that can make use of the A30 System’s headset.
- Ships With: A30 Headset, Astro Speaker Tags, and Astro MixAmp
- Headset Cables: A30 Console Cable and PC Splitter
- AdapterMixAmp Cables: Optical Cable, USB Power Cable, 1.5M Xbox Live Chat Cable, and 1.5M 3.5mm Audio Cable
- Transducer Principle: Dynamic, Open
- Frequency Response: 15 – 28,000 Hz
- Nominal Impedance: 32 ohm
- Weight w/o Cable: 188 grams
- Characteristic SPL: 97 +/-3dB
- Ear Coupling: On-Ear
- Headband Pressure: 2.0 N
- Distortion: Less than 0.1%
- Connector: Multiple Connectors for PC and 3.5mm Jacks
- Microphone: 6.0mm uni-directional noise canceling mic + 4.0mm omni-directional in-line mic
- Power Supply: USB mini-B (USB 2.0 compatible), or 4 x AA batteries (not included)
- Power Output: 70mW 32ohm per channel
- Battery Life: 12+ Hours
- Frequency Response: 35-20,000 Hz
- Inputs (front): Headset connector, 2.5mm Xbox Live voice communication connector
- Inputs (rear): L/R analog RCA, TOSlink digital, coaxial digital, 3.5mm microphone (PC voice), 3.5mm mp3 connector, USB mini-B (audio/power)
With the introduction and spec sheet out of the way let’s take a closer look.