Introduction & Closer Look
Model: Kublai KL05-Q
UK Price: £44.99 @ Scan Computers (At time of review)
US Price: $74.99 @ Amazon US (At time of review)
Silverstone have dazzled and amazed us over the years with their cutting edge and awesome case designs. Historically tailored toward the higher end PC market with price not an issue, they have blazed a trail in the PC building community and have earned the great reputation that the name Silverstone commands.
The Kublai range however, is aimed at a much more affordable price point and with components being the price they are, this case’s sub Fifty pound price is a breath of fresh air.
So let’s start our review with a look at the specs.
Specifications & Features
- Interference-free design for mounting 240mm or 280mm radiator
- Highly flexible storage accommodation of up to 8 or 11 drives*
- Quick access filters for easy cleaning
- Motherboard back plate opening for quick CPU cooler assembly
- Mesh front panel intake maximizes airflow
- Front-side intake vents with foam padded side panels to minimize noise (KL05-Q)
- All black painted interior for stylish look
*Requires purchase of additional drive cage S
- Dimension: 200 x 525 x 494 (WxHxD mm)
- Form Factor: ATX – Micro ATX
- Material(s): Steel, Plastic, Steel chassis
- Motherboard support: ATX – Micro ATX
- Front I/O: 2x USB 3.0, Mic, Headphone, Reset, and Start buttons
- Side window: No
- Expansion slots: 8
- Internal 3.5”: 6x (Shared with 2.5”)
- Internal 2.5”: 6x (2 dedicated, 6 shared with 3.5”)
- Front: 2 x 120mm fan, 2 x 140mm fan, (120mm included)
- Top: 3 x 120mm fan, 3 x 140mm fan
- Rear: 1 x 120mm fan, 1 x 140mm fan
- Front: Up to 240mm radiator
- Top: Up to 280mm radiator
- Rear: 120/140mm radiator
- Up to 406mm VGA Card
- Up to 165mm CPU Cooler
- 25mm cable management
The Case itself is very slick looking. Classic all black design, with the 2x 5.25” drive bays visible, along with the front I/O which features 2x USB 3.0, headphone and mic inputs and the start and reset buttons.
The front panel is dust filtered for easy cleaning and pops off to access the front 120mm (supplied) fan. The air flow is front to back in this set up but Silverstone have not included any additional fans with this case, which is a slight disappointment but at this price not a surprising one.
2x 120mm or 2x 140mm fans can also be fitted here along with 120mm/240mm Radiators.
Moving on to the side views, you can see both side panels are windowless and look great in the black finish Silverstone have applied. The thumb screws also stay attached when the panels are removed so no more hunting around on the floor for lost fixings!
On the rear you can see the 8 expansion slots, along with a mounting for a 120mm exhaust fan. Silverstone have also included 2 expansion holes for external water cooling.
The top of the case is held on with 2 x case screws and when removed allows access to the fan/radiator mounts in the top of the chassis. Here you can fit 2 x 120mm/140mm fans or if you are water cooling, A 120mm/240mm/280mm radiator.