This morning at the Xbox E3 briefing, Microsoft Corp. showcased an extraordinary line up of Xbox One-exclusive titles and announced backward compatibility, fuelling the greatest games line up in Xbox history, this holiday and beyond. Microsoft also shared how it is making Xbox Live, the world’s premier gaming community, get even better, while giving fans an early look at how advanced technology can take their gaming further with the new Xbox Elite Controller and Microsoft HoloLens.
The Xbox E3 keynote packed numerous world gameplay debuts, premieres and trailers into an action-packed 90-minute spectacle for fans, including news from gaming’s biggest franchises.
The show opened with a bang as world premiere gameplay of “Halo 5: Guardians” included the reveal of the all-new massive scale multiplayer mode, Warzone, where up to 24 players battle with friendly and enemy AI characters joining in the fight.
The all-new Ford GT supercar, debuting exclusively in “Forza Motorsport 6,” made a dramatic entrance by descending from the rafters into the Galen arena with an appearance by Henry Ford III and the world gameplay premiere of the title.
Microsoft Studios, in partnership with legendary Japanese game designer Keiji Inafune, Mark Pacini and the teams at Comcept and Armature Studio (creators of the “Metroid Prime” franchise), debuted the all-new Xbox One exclusive “ReCore.”
Developer Mojang AB demonstrated a fully-featured version of “Minecraft” for Microsoft HoloLens that allows players to see the “Minecraft” world in an entirely different way.
Electronic Arts’ Peter Moore took the stage to share his excitement for EA Access, which enables members to play first, play more and play for less only on Xbox One, and announced that the EA Access Vault now includes “Titanfall.” In addition, the EA Access Vault will be open to all Xbox Live Gold Members to play the best of EA for free during the week of E3.
The company also announced Game Preview on Xbox One – a new way for fans to purchase work-in-progress digital titles and participate in the development process by giving feedback to developers as they continue to update their games. Game Preview is coming to Xbox One as a pilot program starting this week.
For more details on Xbox news unveiled today, please see below. For additional news throughout E3 week, tune in live to Xbox Daily: LIVE @ E3 at 12:00 a.m. BST on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, and go to Xbox Wire.
Microsoft Showcases Greatest Games Line-up in Xbox History
This holiday, “Halo 5: Guardians” headlines the best games line-up in Xbox history, alongside blockbuster exclusives like “Forza Motorsport 6,” “Rise of the Tomb Raider,” “Gears of War: Ultimate Edition,” “Fable Legends” and “Rare Replay.”
On stage, Microsoft announced a variety of games launching in 2015 and beyond for Xbox One and Windows 10, including a mix of exclusives, blockbusters and independent games through the ID@Xbox program:
- “Ashen” (XBOX CONSOLE EXCLUSIVE). This action RPG is about a wanderer in search of a place to call home. There is no sun, and the only natural light comes from eruptions that cover the land in ash. This is a world where nothing lasts, no matter how tightly you cling to it. At its core, “Ashen” is about forging relationships. Players can guide those they trust to their camp — together, you might just stand a chance.
- “Beyond Eyes” (FIRST ON XBOX ONE & PC). In this modern fairy tale about finding courage and friendship, step by step you’ll uncover an incredible world, carefully guiding Rae, a young blind girl, on a life-changing journey. Available 2015.
- “Cuphead” (XBOX CONSOLE EXCLUSIVE). This single-player or co-op run-and-gun platformer is heavily focused on boss battles. Inspired by 1930s cartoons, the visuals are hand drawn and inked and the music is all original jazz recordings. Cuphead and Mugman traverse strange worlds, acquire new weapons, learn powerful supermoves and uncover hidden secrets.
- “Dark Souls III.” Known for delivering a high level of unrelenting challenges to gamers, the next chapter of the “Dark Souls” saga returns with “Dark Souls III.” Developer FromSoftware returns to create a new blighted world for players to explore. The embers of a once proud kingdom set the stage for this new adventure. Players will battle against fearsome enemies and bosses with a variety of weapons and magic through a mysterious land riddled with secrets. Available 2016.
- “Fable Legends” (EXCLUSIVE). Claim your legacy as a fearless Hero or a cunning Villain as you clash against one another in thrilling 4-versus-1 battles to determine the fate of Albion in this free-to-play action RPG from Lionhead Studios. Available Holiday 2015.
- “Fallout 4.” “Fallout 4” is under development at Bethesda Game Studios, the award-winning creators of Game of the Year titles including “The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion” (2006), “Fallout 3” (2008), and “The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim” (2011). “Fallout 4” is the next generation of open-world gaming where every second is a fight for survival, and every choice is yours. All purchases of “Fallout 4” on Xbox One will include a token for “Fallout 3” through the first 90 days after “Fallout 4’s” release. “Fallout 4” is available 10th November, 2015.
- “FIFA 16.” “FIFA 16” innovates across the entire pitch to deliver a balanced, authentic, and exciting football experience that lets you play your way. With innovative gameplay features, “FIFA 16” brings confidence in defending, control in midfield, and gives you the tools to create more moments of magic than ever. Available 22nd September, 2015.
- “Forza Motorsport 6” (EXCLUSIVE). Race over 450 Forzavista cars in the most beautiful and comprehensive racing game of this generation. Available 15th September, 2015.
- “Gears of War: Ultimate Edition” (EXCLUSIVE). Play the first at its best. Experience the title that launched one of the most celebrated sagas in entertainment. Painstakingly remastered in 1080p and modernized for Xbox One, “Gears of War: Ultimate Edition” is packed full of new content, including five campaign chapters never released on Xbox, and will unlock early access to the “Gears of War 4” multiplayer beta in 2016. Available 25th August, 2015.
- “Gears of War 4” (EXCLUSIVE). The award-winning franchise begins a new saga on Xbox One, coming in 2016.
- “Gigantic” (EXCLUSIVE). Get ready for “Gigantic,” a new free-to-play shooter MOBA where heroes battle alongside a massive guardian. Free-to-play on Windows 10 and Xbox One1, “Gigantic” tests teamwork, tactics and timing as you confront a five-story foe and conquer a fantasy battlefield.
- “Halo 5: Guardians” (EXCLUSIVE). A mysterious and unstoppable force threatens the galaxy, the Master Chief is missing and his loyalty is being questioned. Experience the most dramatic Halo story to date in a four-player cooperative epic that spans three worlds. Challenge friends and rivals in new multiplayer modes: Warzone, massive 24-player battles, and Arena, pure 4-versus-4 competitive combat. Available 27th October, 2015.
- “Madden NFL 16.” Be the playmaker with all-new controls that allow you to dominate in the battle for air supremacy. New QB mechanics including body-relative throws and touch passes provide unprecedented depth and control of the football while under center. Combined with a new risk-reward catch and pass-defend system, get ready for the biggest wow moments in franchise history. Available 25th August, 2015.
- “Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2.” The battle for suburbia grows to crazy new heights in “Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2”! For the first time in franchise history, zombies have taken over and plants are on the attack. With new characters, more ways to play and immersive new maps, the game taps into the heart of what fans loved about the original and goes above and beyond to deliver the biggest, craziest and most over-the-top shooter. Available 2016.
- “Rare Replay” (EXCLUSIVE). To celebrate its 30th anniversary, Rare Ltd. brings together the adventures of its iconic characters in a collection of 30 games that span the decades. From its earliest 2-D classics to Xbox 360 triumphs, “Rare Replay” is lovingly presented for Xbox One and delivers a treasure trove for veteran players and newcomers alike at an amazing value of ERP $29.99. Available 4th August, 2015.
- “ReCore” (EXCLUSIVE). From legendary creator Keiji Inafune and the makers of “Metroid Prime” comes “ReCore,” a classic action-adventure reimagined for a new generation. As one of the last remaining humans, forge friendships with an eclectic cast of robots and lead them on an epic adventure across a mysterious, ever-changing world. Available spring 2016.
- “Rise of the Tomb Raider” (HOLIDAY EXCLUSIVE). Available beginning 10th November, 2015 and featuring epic, high-octane action moments set in the most beautifully hostile environments, “Rise of the Tomb Raider” delivers a cinematic survival action adventure where you will join Lara Croft on her first tomb raiding expedition as she seeks to discover the secret of immortality.
- “Sea of Thieves” (EXCLUSIVE). The freedom of the pirate life awaits in “Sea of Thieves,” Rare Ltd.’s next adventurous voyage coming exclusively to Xbox One and Windows 10. Available Holiday 2016.
- “Tacoma” (FIRST ON XBOX ONE & PC). Exploration. Isolation. What is life like 200,000 miles from Earth? Uncover the mysteries held by Lunar Transfer Station Tacoma and its crew, living at the edge of humanity’s reach. “Tacoma,” the next game from the creators of “Gone Home.”
- “Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege.” Inspired by the reality of counterterrorist operatives across the world, “Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege” invites players to master the art of destruction. Intense close-quarter confrontations, high lethality, tactics, team play, and tension are at the center of the experience. Available 13th October, 2015.
- “Tom Clancy’s The Division.” In “Tom Clancy’s The Division,” an immersive online open-world action role-playing game, players will team up with other Division agents to reclaim New York City from the chaos of a deadly pandemic. Play the beta first on Xbox One. Available 2016.
Backward Compatibility Comes to Xbox One, for Free
- This holiday, Xbox One will be the only console to support backward compatibility natively for select Xbox 360 games, for free, and all with Xbox One features including screenshots, broadcasting and GameDVR. Backward compatibility is one of the most-requested fan features, and more than 100 classic Xbox 360 games will be available at launch, with more to come.
- While not all Xbox 360 titles will be available at launch, fans can submit what titles they’d like to see added via Xbox Feedback, and Xbox will work with game publishers to continue to release new titles regularly.
The World’s Premier Gaming Community, Xbox Live, Is Getting Better
- Xbox Live powers the most ambitious Halo game Xbox has ever made in “Halo 5: Guardians.” The game is designed from the ground up as a four-player cooperative experience, and introduces up to 24-person multiplayer with Warzone. This is a giant leap forward for Halo multiplayer, and it will be playable at E3.
- Xbox Live will also give players access to more of their friends and a larger community of gamers through titles like “Fable Legends” and “Gigantic” that support cross-device multiplayer and that sync a player’s progress automatically as they move from one device to another.
- Earlier this year Microsoft announced that the best of Xbox One is coming to Windows. The new Xbox app brings Xbox Live friends to Windows 10 PCs and tablets, and lets players stream their Xbox One games to any Windows 10 device for free.
Advanced Technology Takes Gaming Further on Xbox One, and Beyond
- In close collaboration with professional gamers, Microsoft created the Xbox Elite Controller — a pro controller designed to take gaming to the next level.
- Players can customize everything from trigger sensitivity to button mapping to game-specific setups, and use it with their Xbox One and Windows 10 devices with a custom app that offers gamers the opportunity to further modify the controller for any gaming scenario.
- The controller features a premium design that guarantees long-lasting quality with stainless steel features that are built to withstand hours of intense gameplay.
- Microsoft also reiterated details from a new partnership with Oculus VR LLC to include an Xbox One Wireless controller with every Oculus Rift at launch, supporting virtual reality on Windows 10 and Xbox One. Xbox One fans will be able to experience even more immersive gaming by streaming their favourite titles to Oculus Rift via Windows 10.
- Microsoft is proud to announce a new relationship with Valve VR. We will be working closely with Valve to make Windows 10 the best platform for VR gaming.
- Microsoft HoloLens introduces all new ways to game with mixed reality, including “Minecraft” on HoloLens, a fully-featured version of “Minecraft” that allows players to explore the game world in full 3-D.
Microsoft’s ID@Xbox Showcases the Depth of Independent Gaming for Xbox
- More than 1,000 independent developers have Xbox One development kits via ID@Xbox. With the recent expansion of ID@Xbox to Windows 10, independent game fans can look forward to even more exciting games coming soon.
- With the announcement of the Xbox Game Preview pilot program, fans can start playing select games such as “DayZ,” “Sheltered,” and “The Long Dark” while they’re still in development, offering suggestions to the development team and becoming part of the creative process.
Fans Can Access and Explore these Exciting Features Today
- Xbox One Preview Members will have access to backward compatibility starting today, and backward compatibility will be available to everyone this fall, for free.
- In celebration of E3, all Xbox Live Gold members can try out the EA Access Vault, playing their favourite EA games for free, only on Xbox One all week long.
- Beginning today, you can play the beta of “Gears of War: Ultimate Edition,” exclusively on Xbox One, for free.
More details about Xbox One, Xbox One games and the latest Xbox news at E3 can be found at http://news.xbox.com.