Model: SB60 Soundbase
Today we’re reviewing the SB60 airSound BASE (SB60 from here on) from Orbitsound which is the company’s newest ‘sound bar’ offering after forty years’ experience in the sound industry. The SB60 is targeted at those who may want to substitute their TV’s limited speakers, or, are looking for hi-fi level of sound and power without the room or need for one. A unique feature of the SB60 is that unlike other sound bars and indeed, some of Orbitsound’s own sound solutions, there is no external sub-woofer. There is an integrated sub-woofer furthering the low footprint appeal for those who may be looking at a sound bar for more than just replacement TV speakers. The SB60 packs an array of four drivers – two at the front, and two at the side to create a dynamic sound field as well as a down-firing sub concealed within the unit which all adds up to 200W of combined power.
The SB60 is priced at a modest, if not competitive, £299. Whilst this may appear steep in terms of outlay, sound bars from other home AV brands typically start at around the £100 mark and you’re required to be approaching £200 to have any noticeable difference over the dearth of ‘tinny’ integrated speakers that has plagued TVs over the last few years.
- Frequency response: +/- 3dB, 38Hz – 16KHz
- Control; response (remote control): LF: +/-8dB (sub volume), HF: 10KHz +/- 8dB EQ
- Maximum SPL [dB”]: 95dB @1m
- System power: 200W
- Crossover frequency: 220Hz
- Front main drivers: 2×2” Orbitsound mk2
- Spatial drivers: 2×2” Orbitsound mk2
- Sub-Bass driver: 1 x 5”
- Enclosure types: Front – asymmetric sealed, Sides – sealed chambers, Subwoofer – hybrid mode down firing.
- Connection input(s): Stereo Line level -10dBu, 3.5mm jack and RCA, TOSLINK optical (Stereo).
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 60x33x8cm (WxDxH)
- Cabinet finish: High gloss
- Weight (in packaging): 9Kg
- Power consumption: Standby / Idle 0.4W / 4W
- Voltage / Power: 22V DC from 110-240v AC
- Remote Control IR lead code: 6122/01FE
With the introduction out the way let’s take a closer look at the SB60.